Sunday, February 3, 2008

Ear Mites, ugh!

Is this gross or what? I've noticed Sakaura letting out little meows at times like she had a sharp pain and yesterday I saw her scratching her ears madly. A quick inspection confirmed what I thought - she has ear mites.

Snoopy brought ear mites into our house when we first got her at the pet store. I know it is common among cats and highly contagious, so probably the other cats at the shelter are infected. I'm wondering if I should call or if they know this and just failed to mention it?

Anyway some Googling for remedies led me to run to CVS to pick up a little ear washing bulb and some mineral oil. First application last night was not welcomed by Miss Priss. In fact, I got a nasty scratch from the deal.

Today I will try to clean her ears again and we may go up to Petco to see if the over-the-counter remedy looks promising. Otherwise, it's off to Dr. K a bit earlier than we'd planned.

We wanted to have her veterinary records to bring to our vet, but we don't have those yet. I may have to get Don to call the shelter folks tomorrow to remind them we are still waiting for those, and at that time he could tell them about the ear mites.

I've checked Snoopy's ears and don't see a problem, but I may put some drops in her ears as a precaution.

Oh the joys of bringing a new cat into the household.

No comments: