Friday, February 8, 2008

Eating Plants!!

So the latest from the battlezone includes a nasty habit of eating plants! Rusty ate plants so I was always watchful. Snoopy's only ever been interested in silk plants so I have some plants in the house now that I've really not been very mindful of whether or not they were edible.

Yesterday Sakaura had a bit of diarrhea and this morning I woke to a little pile of fern leaves thrown up on the floor right near my spot on the sofa. So I moved the Boston fern, and today did a bit of research on poisonous vs. nonpoisonous plants.

I found this list that indicates that the fern is non-toxic but eating it could cause those symptoms. However, I did find a list of toxic plants that was most revealing and I will need to really make an effort to keep this cat away from some of the plants I now have. I brought an English ivy in trying to save it through the winter - and it is on the toxic list, as is my Peace Lily and my Aloe Vera.

I sent Don an email to move the ivy plant outdoors - the Aloe Vera is out of reach unless she does some climbing but I'll move it to a better place when I get home. I've not noticed her trying to nibble on the peace lily, but without her fern to graze on , it might be next.

Now I will worry all day that she's going to eat something that will really make her ill.

Sakaura - what a challenge you are!


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: